Implant Post-Operative Instructions
It is crucial that you try not to CHEW on the IMPLANT!
- Keep propped up on pillows or in a reclining chair to minimize swelling
- No rinsing, spitting, or sucking through a straw (for 24 Hours!)
- No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 48 hours.
- Your numbness will last 4-8 hours, possibly longer.
- If bone was placed; you will have tiny granules of excess bone come out.
- If gauze is placed, remove in 30 minutes. Do Not replace gauze. Blood tinged saliva is normal.
- At this time, patient may drink (no straw) a milk shake or a smoothie.
- After patient has had shake or smoothie, if there is excessive bleeding (blood on teeth/lips), then moisten a fresh tea bag and have Patient place it directly over top of incision site for 30 minutes with pressure. Make sure tea bag is on the surgical site. Place gauze pad on top.
- Keep ice packs on patient’s face for 30 minutes intervals for 48 hours. This helps keeps swelling, soreness, and bruising down.
- Please start to rinse gently with Peridex Oral Rinse (twice daily)
- After put ice packs away and apply warm moist heat in 30-minute intervals for the duration of swelling and soreness (this may last over a week). May use pot of water or crock pot for warm water.
- The stitches are dissolvable, but if they come out before 4-5 days, it is okay.
- It is important to eat before taking the medications. If you do not eat you may become very nauseated.
- IF you are prescribed a narcotic pain medication with Tylenol. Do NOT take over the counter Tylenol additionally while taking this prescription. After the pain medication prescription is complete, you may take Tylenol over the counter.
- May start taking narcotic pill when needed, as well as the medication for nausea.
- Start non-narcotic pain medication-Ibuprofen as soon as possible.
- Start Antibiotic at bedtime (take one). Follow instructions on the prescription.
- It is crucial that you Try Not to CHEW on the IMPLANT!
- Patient must eat quality foods, starting today! Room temperature scrambled eggs, pastas, oatmeal, soups, (anything soft and nutritious), and quality fluids (incorporate fruit juices and Gatorade). The more protein rich foods and fluids the patient has the faster the healing process. See blue sheet in post-op booklet for more suggestions.
Wearing your Prosthesis
Partial dentures, flippers, or full dentures, should not be used immediately after surgery for at least 10 days, as discussed in the pre-operative consultation.
Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) We are asking our patients to call our office immediately, if patient or anyone you come in contact with was exposed to or develops symptoms associated with COVID-19.